This Page

has been moved to new address

Upholstered Headboard

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
for His pleasure: Upholstered Headboard

This Page

has been moved to new address

Upholstered Headboard

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
for His pleasure: Upholstered Headboard

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Upholstered Headboard

Along with fall comes my insatiable desire to get some projects completed around here.  You wouldn't know it by looking at my house right now...with stuff strewn everywhere because I'm "rearranging".   I'm trying to take it a room at a time so it all seems more doable.  Any other scatter-brainers out there?

This upholstered headboard project has been on my radar screen ever since the beginning of the year when we purchased our california King-sized bed.  

Have you all priced King-sized upholstered headboards lately?  They ain't cheap.

So, when Steven asked me if making the headboard for me was a good anniversary gift, I was just giddy.  Good?  That's a perfect idea!

I had found one at the Pottery Barn outlet that I fell in love with before we moved for $350...

Montgomery Upholstered Headboard
$350's still pricey, but it's priced at $599 on their website!

I picked out the shape I wanted, based off of the pictures I had seen on Darby's blog of their PB headboard in their master bedroom renovation...
myloves4 
They found theirs for $20 at Goodwill.  
Now, that is a steal!

And then I got my West Elm magazine in the mail that featured this nailhead trimmed headboard...
Nailhead Upholstered Headboard

So me and the hubs began to collaborate.

We wanted ours to be thicker and more substantial than all the typical DIY upholstered headboards you see floating around on blog land.  We also didn't want to just attach it to the wall behind our bed.  So Steven basically created a faux thick wood out of 2 pieces of plywood and some thick wood sandwiched in between along the edges.   You women get my visual words here, right?  This upped our cost, but the result?  A thick and substantial looking headboard without being super heavy.  It was worth it for us.

I'm not sure exactly how we came up with this shape.  Trial and error, a few pieces of unconventional equipment and a sharpie is the best way I know how to tell you..  You can see we definitely played around before we decided on the final shape...

We purchased 2 big rolls of the thickest foam they carry at Hobby Lobby 
{printable 40% off coupons are great for these expensive boogers}.  
I also had some quilt batting already that we used to wrap the edges, giving it a smoother transition.

 Steven did this shave thing along the edges of the foam before stapling it into the wood.  In hindsight, we wouldn't have chosen the type of plywood we did.  It was really really hard wood and made stapling with our staple gun a pain in the neck!  The project would have gone a lot faster otherwise.  
You live and learn. :-)

Then, he began to wrap the sides with the quilt batting...no stapling necessary...
Next, we got our upholstery fabric out and kind of laid it out to see where we wanted to place it.
Ironed the fabric, laid it out smooth on the floor, and placed the headboard - right side down - where we wanted it.  Then stapled the fabric, pulling as taught as the 2 of us could muster, to the back of the headboard.  Again, took way longer than necessary because of our wood choice. :-(
Next, came the nailhead trim.  Steven started out measuring each position precisely, but quickly learned the trim had a mind of its' own.  It didn't matter where you placed it, it always seemed to go its' own way.  
We'll blame it on the wood choice again! 
So, he scratched the measuring quickly and just eyeballed it.  This led to some stray nailhead trim that we'll fine tune later.  Just squint your eyes when you look at the final picture and it'll make the trim blend together nicely in your brain. 
Using my West Elm magazine as a guide for the trim.

The mostly finished product!


I absolutely love it!  
Thank you, Steven, for giving me the perfect anniversary gift!

Rough estimates of the materials:
fabric = $21
nailhead trim = $19
foam = $40
wood = $40 

Total = $120!

If you want to make one yourself, these awesome tutorials will walk you through the process step by step.  They are cheaper to make than ours was, with a thinner structure.  Be sure to let me know if you try it!


This one is not cheaper if you make it as large as she did, but you could easily make to size.

And because I like to laugh, I figure you might want to as well...

This is underneath of our bed and yes, those would be stacks of books "raising" the height of our bed.  
Can I just say, one of my favorite things about Steven is his ingenuity. :-)

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At September 20, 2011 at 9:39 AM , Blogger Summs78 said...

Mary Beth, I am Britni Slusser's sister-in-law, Summer. I have to say, I love your blog! This is a project I had been wishing I could do for a long time and haven't had the guts to try it. You've inspired me and when the time comes, I'm gonna tackle this one! :)

 
At September 20, 2011 at 3:53 PM , Blogger Susanna | Revisionary Life said...

I was JUST looking at upholstered headboards yesterday and wondering if making one could be done. Now I know :)

 
At September 20, 2011 at 10:17 PM , Blogger Tidbits of Torah said...

WOW - THIS IS AMAZING - I would love to downsize this for twin beds. thanks

Shalom – stopping by to share something interesting

The State of Israel was established in the year 5708 to the Creation of the World – and the 5,708th verse in the Torah reads, “And G-d will bring you to the Land inherited by your forefathers, and you will take possession of it, and He will do good to you…” (Devarim/Deut. 30,5)…

I was so excited when I saw this statement that I wanted to check it out for myself (and to have grid available whenever I wanted it). I created a spreadsheet for the 1st five books that would do the calculation for me as I entered chapter, verse, count, total count from Genesis/ Bereshis.

BORUCH HASHEM! I WAS SO HAPPY TO SEE THIS FOR MYSELF! If anyone would like this table (5 books) in PDF form – just email me and I will be happy to send it to you free of charge.

 
At September 21, 2011 at 6:12 AM , Blogger Mary Beth said...

Summer, So glad to "meet" you. :-) I'm glad I've inspired you...please let me know if you try this project. I would love to see pictures!

 
At September 21, 2011 at 7:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey MB, It looks fantastic! I have wanted to do something like this also! I have read that getting the nailhead to stay in through batting can be tricky. Any tips on that? I might want to do a double row of them and am sure that the nailheads would try to pop out. Miss you lots! Jill

 
At September 22, 2011 at 11:26 AM , Blogger Mary Beth said...

The nailhead was the hardest part I think, ironically. Ours would break if you tried to take them out to shift the placement a little. On Isabella and Max Rooms she said she was able to just pop them back out and reaarrange if she messed up, but ours would not do that. :-( It could've been our wood choice again...I don't know. Steven shaved our foam down on the sides so that the trim would be secured in the wood. I don't think he had a problem with it staying in. I will say to buy extra if you get the cheap kind at Lowes because they break easily.

 
At September 27, 2011 at 11:12 AM , Blogger Christine Marie Studio said...

Fantastic! This looks great (it looks professional). I am about to try a nail head burlap bulletin board.

 
At October 2, 2011 at 8:49 PM , Blogger Jon and Sarah said...

This looks awesome, Mary Beth! I love reading your blog! You are so inspiring. :)

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

<< Home