This Page

has been moved to new address

Laundry Detergent: Easy Tutorial

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
for His pleasure: Laundry Detergent: Easy Tutorial

This Page

has been moved to new address

Laundry Detergent: Easy Tutorial

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
for His pleasure: Laundry Detergent: Easy Tutorial

Monday, October 3, 2011

Laundry Detergent: Easy Tutorial

While I'm wrapping things up in the Laundry Room, I'm going to share my new favorite way to save money.  I really think you'll like it too.










 Homemade Laundry Detergent!

I've seen people talk about doing this, but I just assumed it was one extra hassle.  One extra hassle this mommy didn't have time to mess with.  It probably wouldn't make my clothes smell any cleaner than they were when they went in, it probably wouldn't really save me money...are you picking up that I'm a skeptic by now?  "Realist" is what I like to tell Steven. :-)

But the realist in me finally realized we were going through Gain Laundry Detergent like nobodies business around here.  Between me painting up a storm, the girls getting grass stains from playing outside, Keller being a natural born spitter, and all the other normal messes from a family of 5, we were going through loads of laundry like an Oklahoma fire takes over a dry field: rapid fire.

But this is so easy y'all and saves definite pennies - I'm hooked for good.

...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
 ~ Laundry Detergent ~

You'll need:


:: 1 cup Borax - 
{found in the Detergent aisle of Wal Mart}
:: 1 cup Baking Soda
:: 1 bar of ivory soap - grated

Simply grate your bar of soap like you would a block of cheese...














Mix in your Borax...


Mix in your baking soda...


Mix it all together...


Store in an airtight container...


And you're done!

The directions I had from The Stirring Place said you only need 1 - 2 tablespoons of the detergent per load.  But I don't think they had any kind of idea who they were dealing with.  So, I like to put 3 tablespoons in my washer as the water is going in.  That way it'll dissolve and not get clumpy in my clothes.  Then, I put my messy clothes in.

P.S. I did double the recipe since we go through laundry so fast.

So far, it's working great for our family!








Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At October 3, 2011 at 8:41 AM , Anonymous Britni said...

Thank you for posting this! I despise buying detergent so often...Curious, is the ivory soap just for scent purposes?

 
At October 3, 2011 at 10:45 AM , Blogger Mary Beth // Annapolis said...

I think the ivory is for both scent and cleaning purposes. :-) I am so glad I went ahead and did this...already saving me money!

 
At October 3, 2011 at 7:51 PM , Blogger  said...

I use a gel recipe that calls for Borax, Arm & Hammer Washing Soda and a bar of Fels Naptha soap. All are also in Walmart, or most local hardware stores. We have a front loader, which is made for liquid detergents. I love the smell! And am very happy with it, too. Isn't it nice to be on the winning end of the money game now and again!

 
At October 4, 2011 at 9:59 AM , Blogger Susanna | Revisionary Life said...

I have a lot of friends that do this but have never stopped to ask how much it costs. Do you know?

 
At October 5, 2011 at 3:53 PM , Blogger Mary Beth // Annapolis said...

Susanna, I tried looking through my receipts so I could give you an exact amount, but of course those were not the ones spilling out of my wallet. :-( I believe the Borax was about 2.78, the big thing of Baking Soda was 1.50ish, and the Ivory soap was like 3 something. You can get several batches out of that though, and because you're only using a few tablespoons of the detergent per load it lasts a while! I really love it!

 
At October 6, 2011 at 10:52 AM , Blogger Susanna | Revisionary Life said...

Oh I'm sorry I put you to so much trouble over it! It definitely sounds a lot cheaper . . . and I even do the whole couponing thing to get my detergent really cheap. Perhaps I'll give it a try. Thanks for checking on that for me :)

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

<< Home