This Page

has been moved to new address

Wood "LAUNDRY" Sign Project

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
for His pleasure: Wood "LAUNDRY" Sign Project

This Page

has been moved to new address

Wood "LAUNDRY" Sign Project

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
for His pleasure: Wood "LAUNDRY" Sign Project

Monday, September 26, 2011

Wood "LAUNDRY" Sign Project

I'm going to share a project with you today from my Laundry Room Redo in the making.

As you know, my challenge was to do this room for under $50.
After buying a gallon of paint, I went into our newly organized garage and rooted through all of Steven's "stuff" to see if I could find anything usable or inspiring. 
Boy did I ever!

I took lots of pictures of my process, thinking you might want to make one of these easy signs too.


~ Painted Wood "LAUNDRY" Sign ~


You'll need:


::Piece of wood - any size will do depending on how big you want your sign - mine was about 2.5 inches wide and 17 inches long.
::Paint {I used Black for my base and White Primer over that}
::Sandpaper or sanding block
::2 paint brushes - 1 small for painting the letters and one medium for painting your wood
::Paper or Cardstock to print on
Computer to print out your letters for stenciling
::Scissors {not pictured}
::Pencil
:Something heavy that you can bang up your piece of wood with - I used those red handled pliers


Take your piece of wood and give it a good sand with your sanding block.
Next, paint a coat of black paint on the wood and let dry.
Then, paint over with a coat of your white primer.

Take whatever heavy tool you've got on hand and bang your painted wood up pretty good.  I especially wore away all of the edges and used my pliers to even stip some big pieces off to give it a really weathered look.
 {Photo taken after sign complete.}
Paint another quick and light coat of the white primer over the top of your newly distressed wood.
Sand down the whole thing now - I wanted mine to allow the black paint and some wood to show through in spots.

Find a font you like and type up "LAUNDRY" {or whatever word you are using} on Word on your computer.  Decide how big you want them.  I needed my letters to be 2 inches tall to fit comfortably on my piece of wood, so we took a ruler and just measured the letters on the computer screen.  Print it out, cut out the letters individually and used them to trace onto your wood...
Fill in your traced letters, using a small paint brush, with black paint.  
This part is relaxing!  So put some music on and enjoy the moment. :-)

Once the letters dry, give it one final light sand and step back and admire your work!!!

If you're only wanting to prop your sign up somewhere on a shelf, dresser, etc.  no need to to anything more to it.  However, if you want to hang it on a wall, you can just nail it in for a more rustic look or you could do what we did.

Steven drilled 2 partial holes at an upward angle...
 ...so it could be hung on 2 nails...
 ...and voila'!!!

I love it! 

Let me know if you make one too!
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At September 27, 2011 at 10:08 AM , Blogger Susanna | Revisionary Life said...

Looking great! I actually have been working on a project for Ali's nursery. I've been attaching little birds and the word "LAUNDRY" on a canvas hamper. Her nursery is a bird cage theme. I haven't gotten to decorate it until now, but I've had it in my heart to do little birds all over for some time. I'm not as proficient in my projects as you . . . as you'll see if you read my blog post in the next few days, but it's almost done. ;)

 
At September 28, 2011 at 9:05 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I need to do this!! Thanks for the idea!

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

<< Home