This Page

has been moved to new address

Progress in the Girls' Room

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
for His pleasure: Progress in the Girls' Room

This Page

has been moved to new address

Progress in the Girls' Room

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
for His pleasure: Progress in the Girls' Room

Monday, March 21, 2011

Progress in the Girls' Room

It has been a relaxing weekend here for me. Laid in bed and watched The Bucket List with Keller this morning...in complete peace and quiet. Held him while he slept and it felt good. Wonderful actually. I love babies and I think they're one of God's greatest gifts to us.

I thought I would take a moment to share with you some more progress we've made on the girlies' room. Steven's been getting in on the action and even surprised me and brought home an $8 bird cage he picked up at an antique store. He gets brownie points for that. I'm not a wife who enjoys a bouquet of flowers from the store. (I think they are a complete waste of money.) But bring home an inexpensive rusty bird cage and you have completely made my day!!! I'm weird like that.

I've done a little more spray painting, but with Steven's help and supervision this time. I'm afraid he'll never trust me again. =( We went to a soccer field at dark and used the headlights of our van and an app on Steven's phone to give us light while we painted the bird cages and some smaller items I had in the room. I'm sure we looked ridiculous, but it kept the paint off the cement (many jabs were made about that) and it was a fun little date for us.

Here's some snapshots of the progress for you:



These shelves have been around a long time and they are surprisingly sentimental to me. They were my first real home decor purchase! I was 15 years old and my mom and I stopped in Wildflowers - a small gift shop in Delaware - that was going out of business right before we moved down south. I bought these shelves, a gold decorative plate, and a vase filler sphere made of twigs and dried leaves. My mom thought I was nuts with that purchase! The shelves were dark and starting to chip all these years later, so I spray painted them an off-white color and I like them even better now! So girly and pretty...

The frames were purchased for like a dollar something at a consignment sale. The bird house was around $2.50 from Wal Mart. I spray painted it and used spray glue to attach the scrapbook paper on the roof.

And then I've made these pillows for the girls...




These were sewn from a soft flat sheet my mom gave me. I used Emily's applique tutorial as a sounding board for the birds.

I also used the applique tutorial to make these a while ago:


I'm showing this because I cannot stress enough how valuable this tutorial is! You can make all kinds of cute stuff with the basic concept and add your own creativity to personalize. And as a side note, these shirts were recently on clearance for a dollar at Wal Mart!!!

Here's another birdhouse I found at target for a dollar. It sits on their dresser next to a pot of artificial sunflowers ...



It was hot pink and I spray painted it too, adhered the paper to the roof, and put some dirt from outside in a planter I found at Burlington Coat factory for a couple bucks. LOVE it!

Last picture...




Do you think that sun mirror is overkill??? Be honest. I promise I can take it. =) I am a minimalist by nature and cannot stand clutter! I can't decide if that mirror is clutter or cute.


Things left to do:

1.) Finish recovering rocking chair
2.) Take apart pink bins and reconfigure with canvas
3.) Cover wall canvases with fabric

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At March 21, 2011 at 2:42 PM , Blogger Hannah R. said...

I love the pillows!! I'm going to look at the link you had on here...so cute!!
This is just my opinion and you know that our styles are VERY different...but to me, the mirror doesn't look like you?? Almost too...flashy or something...maybe if it was just a sun with no mirror, or something not shiny it would look better :o) I don't know, it almost takes away from the letters, which are SUPER adorable :o)...either way, you know I like everything you do anyway... ;o)

 
At March 21, 2011 at 3:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love those shelves. You did a great job with all these. Thanks for the link -- I subscribed to that blog -- so many neat ideas!

 
At March 22, 2011 at 9:56 AM , Blogger luckyjayne said...

1. The mirror looks great! I love it. I will help reflect more light in the room.
2. The pillow is adoreable! Great job.
3. I forgive you for dissing flowers. ;)

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

<< Home