This Page

has been moved to new address

The House That Changed Me: Part 2

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
for His pleasure: The House That Changed Me: Part 2

This Page

has been moved to new address

The House That Changed Me: Part 2

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
for His pleasure: The House That Changed Me: Part 2

Thursday, April 28, 2011

The House That Changed Me: Part 2

This is the process...
It began with lists...and lists...and more lists.
I am a list writer. I got that straight from my mother. I swore I would never write one as soon as I got out of the house because we kids used to HATE her lists. So...yeah...explain this picture...

And so now Steven pretty much HATES my lists. Not because I write them, but the way I write them I'm told. Apparently I put too much on one list that will never all be accomplished in a day. I don't see a problem with that. But someone does. =)

The process then includes preparation for the job. We were less than perfect with this. You see, our goal (probably more mine - read caption of first photo) was to get this house flipped in a year. Never mind the fact that Steven worked 2 sometimes 3 jobs during the first year we lived there and I was pregnant most of that year or had a newborn. I now know why Steven thinks I was psycho.

We worked rapid fire on this house I'm telling you. Prep got to be really a hassle as you can see...

I'm using my nice Pottery Barn drape for a shield from the dust storm in the kitchen as we sanded cabinets and scraped off the popcorn ceiling, complete with a paint can holding it down at the bottom. I really don't know what I was thinking. Actually, "Get this done," is what I was thinking.

Our house was always under some MAJOR project so we never actually enjoyed a room for what it was supposed to be made for. I brushed my teeth in the kitchen. We pulled our food out of the fridge in the living room. Then we ate our meals in the bathroom. It all depended on what was functioning at the moment.

Next, hire as much free labor as you can. And I have to tell you, my siblings were real troopers to help us out on the week of Christmas break to redo our entire kitchen. We still owe you guys dinner out for that one, so we'll plan on that when we see you next week!

My sister, Becky, priming closets we added in the kitchen.

My sister, Abby, sleepily sands down our original cabinetry for painting.

My brothers, Timmy and Isaac, scrape popcorn off the ceiling.

Matt sands down cabinetry.

My brother, Michael, cutting out space for our tile back splash. Woa! Check out the wallpaper. We had hideous wallpaper in several rooms. But it wasn't just wallpaper. There were layers. Layers of painted over wallpaper...talk about a hassle.

Next, pick a cute husband who can look great covered in dust, doesn't mind working the late nights, and who knows how to do everything in order to flip a house...and if he doesn't, he's willing to learn.

Lastly, order some cute kiddos who are really flexible, love visiting Lowes at 10 o' clock at night....


can sleep in a playpen while mommy paints...

pitch in to help with any job...

and keep you company while you work.

I cannot leave out the many family and friends who babysat the kids for us so we could get stuff done. Or those of you who let us use your truck since we didn't have one. Or those of you who just came over and helped us with projects. We owe a HUGE thank you to you and please know how much we appreciate and love all of you!

And the Lord was the greatest friend - right by my side through it all. Sometimes I didn't know it or feel it, but He was there and had a plan for it all.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At April 28, 2011 at 10:28 AM , Blogger Rachel said...

This is pretty impressive, Mary Beth. Ryan and I have always wanted to flip a house, but just haven't had the funds to do it yet (and maybe we should start with our own :) ). It seems like you all have accomplished so much for your time together! I'm encouraged by your motivation.

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

<< Home