This Page

has been moved to new address

First Upholstery and A Favorite Find

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
for His pleasure: First Upholstery and A Favorite Find

This Page

has been moved to new address

First Upholstery and A Favorite Find

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
for His pleasure: First Upholstery and A Favorite Find

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

First Upholstery and A Favorite Find


I started on this chair before Tammy came for her visit back in March. That's embarrassing to even write. It's not that I haven't tried to work on it, but I always get interrupted. I tell you this Bible Study (Jonah: The Interrupted Life) is so good for me. I don't know about you, but I feel I am just living The Interrupted Life. Do you ever feel that way? If you get sidetracked a million times in a day because you go from one room to the next and see things that have gotten destroyed in just 10 minutes. Or if you sit down to read a book with your 2-yr-old and then are notified that your 1-yr-old is having a blowout. Or if you're 35 weeks pregnant and then realize you need to pick up and move to Oklahoma. Then, you may have an idea why I feel like I'm interrupted. My guess is anyone with little ones feels the same way. However, we are learning in our study to quit calling it an interruption, but a divine intervention. How timely for this season in my life. =)

Even with all the divine interventions, I was determined to get this chair done because it was on my list of things to complete before we leave for SC. Also, because I like rocking my babies and the thing was always in a shambles getting reworked.

I thought I had a true before picture of this rocking chair but realize now that I can't find one. I did think to take a picture of the original fabric.

My aunt got this chair from a yard sale for $10 if I remember correctly. She gave it to me before Emma Claire was born. It has held up well and I really do love it; it just never matched that great with everything else I've had in the nurseries.

So, here it is after a month and a half of sporadic work...

I used a $7 tablecloth from the PB clearance bin to recover it. I wanted to use it because the fabric was soft and kind of "lineny". I also wanted to keep this chair neutral and kind of grown up looking since I love having a rocker in our bedroom. Although, we have no room for it in our bedroom here at the apartment, it can easily be moved into a master bedroom if the Lord provides a house.

I used a standard pillow sham from the PB clearance bin that I've had for a couple years and reworked it to make this throw pillow.


Look at that price! I really do miss that place. But, I'm excited to visit it next week...I can barely contain my excitement. =)

I used jute twine to create the edging.


The original upholstery had piping, but I didn't have enough fabric for that, plus, I'm not the greatest with it.


Then I made these...

...to spruce it up a bit. Now, do you think they look too...well...knobby??? I don't want them to look like door handles or anything. I have to admit they feel pretty good on your back. =)

And then these....


...are my FAVORITE FIND of the week (That and the dollar buckets I got at Target for Emma Claire's party, but more on that later.). Aren't they divine??? I know most girls wouldn't have their heart pitter patter over baskets made of newspaper, but I'm telling you I'm swooning. I have been looking for baskets for toys for their room for forever. I found these in Ross the other day in the very back corner and I knew...just knew...they would fit very well. The price was right so I snatched 2 of the 4 they had. Now here was my mistake. I got quite a few compliments walking with those things in my cart all the way up to the register. I guess I was feeling nice at the time, so I told this lady, "They're cool aren't they?! There's 2 more in the back corner if you want them!" I just wanted someone else to share in my excitement. BIG mistake. When they looked so good in the girl's room, I decided I needed all 4 of them. So I went back a day later and I could have punched that lady because they weren't there. And I knew it was her who had stolen them.

So I'm not perfect. And sometimes. Just sometimes. I get a little attached to things. Just a tad.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At May 3, 2011 at 3:02 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

LOVE the chair!!! Your piping looks great!! I have a rocker from Steve's mom - in the attic because I'm not sure what to do with it but don't want to part with it either! I do have a corner in my bedroom that it would fit in.... thanks for ANOTHER inspiration!

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

<< Home