This Page

has been moved to new address

Kiawah Island

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
for His pleasure: Kiawah Island

This Page

has been moved to new address

Kiawah Island

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
for His pleasure: Kiawah Island

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Kiawah Island

Our South Carolina visit was full and fast...the way we like it. It seems we are addicted to living life at warped speed. Or maybe that's just how life is. I always tell Steven that I love my life with him because he keeps it interesting - I never know what will be around the next bend. We are always open to an adventure.

We flew out of Tulsa on a Friday afternoon. The flight was delayed from the get-go and I remember this sinking feeling when we found out we would miss our connection in Atlanta, causing an almost 3-hr layover there. This would put us getting into Greenville close to midnight. The thought of dragging 3 kids in and out of airports waaaay past their bedtime was overwhelming. The flight went as predicted: Emma and Keller were perfectly behaved. Shiloh...not so much. To save money, we only bought 3 tickets so that meant 2 lap babies for us.She screamed until we could switch her with Emma and strap her in the seat. I so wish I had a picture, but there were literally not enough hands for us to risk using one of them with a camera. During Shiloh's screams, I had flashbacks of the time we were all driving to the hospital while I was in the final stages of labor, getting urges to push. Everything is so climactic, hectic, and laughable, and somehow God pours out His grace in the knick of time and it enables you not to kill anybody in that moment.

Once we were in the air, we strapped Shiloh in the seat good and tight, tucking tips away in our minds for the flight home. We read books, picked up the books she threw, we sang, we silenced tantrums, we dished out plane food, we took trips to the bathroom, we spilled drinks, we prayed, and then...before we knew it the 2 hour flight was over. Once inside the airport we knew we didn't have the energy to go through that again. Thankfully, Steven's cousin came to our rescue and picked us up after a trip in the dark on the Marta. I've never clutched my wallet and Keller so tight. What a wonderful blessing to be able to borrow their van for the week. The girls fell asleep watching Nemo in the car and we arrived in Greenville sometime after midnight.
............................................................................
We packed up our stuff into my parent's 12 passenger van and took off for Kiawah Island the next morning with our sweet friends - the Hullehans.

Jenny and I convinced the boys that a stop by Goodwill on our way would be in their best interest. I picked up some cute skinny jeans for Emma, some other random clothes, and a striped sheet set that I have great renovation plans for. Nothing like a little thrifting to put this weary traveler in a great mood.

And these are the faces of our children after we stopped at the Goodwill...

I told you it was totally worth it!
(Sorry, we had to strap you back in the car seat again, Shiloh!)
..................................
We arrived at our place all in one piece, though a little frazzled. We were officially 19hours from our home in Oklahoma at this point. We went straight to the beach, taking this little pathway...

Note to parents of young children: it is imperative to stay at a place within walking distance of the beach. It makes all the difference in the world when you are carrying enough stuff to fill a general store. (This applies to airports too.)

I was pleasantly surprised to find that Keller LOVED the beach. We have taken each of children to the beach when they were about 2-3 months old. We never really planned it that way, it just kind of worked out. Steven and I want our children to know and love the ocean. Our hearts are there.

Shiloh was in her element...

plenty of space for her to roam.

And Emma provided great entertainment when - in true form - she took off for the water at full speed laughing and cackling the whole way. The waves threw her off balance and she fell down getting completely soaked...

As my dad always says, "She is one happy kid." I love that! Wouldn't it be wonderful to be known as a happy person?

Jenny and I spent lots of time catching up...how grateful I am for her friendship. We were really looking forward to this trip.

The next morning, (Mother's Day) Steven kept the kids so I could go for a run on the beach. It's funny how I used to dread my routine run and now it is such a luxury to me when I can make the time for it! =)
It brought back so many memories since my growing up years were spent in Delaware - 45 minutes from the beach. Boy, I didn't realize how lucky I was!

I ran in the direction of all the houses and got my fill of beautiful design.

There's nothing I like better than a cottage by the sea. I thought this one would do nicely for our growing family...

...ahhhh...and these shutters!!!

I wanted to rip those right off that house and take them home with me. =)
.................................................
I came back to this...

(Steven made breakfast for me!)

and this...

This picture makes me smile. =)
(The coffee maker was broken and since Jenny and Steven are coffee addicts they devised this method to get their fix.)
...................................................
We spent a lot of time just relaxing around the condo after some of the adults got a little too lobster red the first day.

And then, after the sun went down, we would come back out and do it all over again.




"Praise God from whom all blessings flow!" Thank you Hullehan family! We really enjoyed it!

.....................................................

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At May 18, 2011 at 8:51 AM , Blogger Brian and Sarah Lindsay said...

It was so good to catch up with you! I'm so glad you were able to come visit and get a break too!

 
At May 18, 2011 at 10:25 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

I love this post...loved seeing all the pics! Glad to have gotten to see ya'll! And, yes...Emma is one happy little girl...gave me such joy just talking with her and our little conversation! =)

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

<< Home