This Page

has been moved to new address

Slipcovered Chair: Part 2

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
for His pleasure: Slipcovered Chair: Part 2

This Page

has been moved to new address

Slipcovered Chair: Part 2

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
for His pleasure: Slipcovered Chair: Part 2

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Slipcovered Chair: Part 2

*after*
*before*


                                                                                                    
I'm a visual learner.  I always like to see photos of others' process in getting from point A to point B with a project.  Sometimes points A all the way to Z can be a little draining, unless I need a specific tutorial because I am planning on doing it myself.

I debated on whether I would go the A-Z route with this slipcover process,
giving you an exact play-by-play of how I did it.
But uncertainty in my ability and laziness won out and I only took a few shots of the pivotal points in the process.
{How's that for alliteration?}

Upholstery has always fascinated me and if you too think it's something you want to tackle, then I hope these photos fuel that fire.

 ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::



Here's the best tip for upholstery/slip covers from one of the best Aunts {Thank you, Aunt Norene!}:  If at all possible, always, always, always, use the original upholstery for a pattern.

I just used a seam ripper and took the top part of the chair off and used it as a guide to cut my fabric.  I did not do this for the seat of the chair.  I was too afraid the stuffing would get lumpy...that's been my experience anyway.  



Pinned my pieces on just to see how they measured up...



Began making the seat piece...


Inside out version...



Right side out version when complete...

 Want to add these pleats to one of your projects?  Here's the easy peasy tutorial I followed.



I saved the original cording - so glad I did!  I've never used this "harder" plasticy kind, but it works so much better than the "softer" stuff.  Can you tell I need to brush up on my seamstress terms???

Never used cording either?
But think it would add a nice touch to your pillows, slipcovers, or upholstery?
Here's a set of great videos you can watch:


There are several, I know, but each one's pretty short and thorough.
She's pretty much my favorite I've found.

My finished product...


Not to steal McD's slogan or anything, but, I'm lovin' it. ;-)

People always ask me about reupholstering and slip covering, wanting ideas and how-tos, as if I know what I'm doing.  And I can assure you with 100% certainty that I do not.  But I'm learning.  I'm willing to make mistakes.  I'm willing to get frustrated.  I'm willing to do it till I get the hang of it.  And most importantly, I love it!

So, if you have questions, please ask away!  It is sincerely a joy for me to inspire others and to give you as much help as I can.


Oh, and one more tip...

Husbands are great sounding boards for stuff like this.  Not sure if all husbands are wired this way, but mine gives me great feedback and ideas on upholstery.  {And deserves the majority of the credit on our upholstered headboard.}  Who knew?!
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Some more of my inspiration for these chairs:

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At October 19, 2011 at 9:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! It looks so great and the pleats are so you! :) Jill

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

<< Home