This Page

has been moved to new address

German Chocolate Cake

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
for His pleasure: German Chocolate Cake

This Page

has been moved to new address

German Chocolate Cake

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
for His pleasure: German Chocolate Cake

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

German Chocolate Cake




I have been craving this cake for a couple weeks now. Well...ever since the last time I made it actually. I made this cake for Steven's birthday and instantly became a coconut convert! The icing is spectacular and well worth the time you sit stirring. This recipe came from here, but I have added some tips I think you will find helpful in parenthesis. Enjoy!


German Chocolate Cake


Cake:

1 (18.25 ounce) package butter cake mix
1 (3.5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs

Frosting:

(You will most likely need to double this. I have both times.)

1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
1 cup white sugar
1 cup chopped pecans (I didn't use the pecans because Steven didn't want them.)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup butter
1 cup flaked coconut

Directions


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour three 8 inch round cake pans. (I only used 2 and left a little batter in the bowl. I have some great helpers who help me with what's leftover.)

2. Combine the cake mix, instant vanilla pudding, cocoa, buttermilk, vegetable oil and the 3 whole eggs. Mix until blended and pour the batter into the prepared pans.

3. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until the cakes test done. Set cakes aside to cool.

Frosting:

In a medium sized sauce pan mix the evaporated milk, white sugar, 3 egg yolks and the butter. Cook over medium heat until the mixture is thick. (It should resemble a soupy applesauce consistency. This will take about 25 - 30 min. of stirring. It's my excuse to read a magazine :-)  Trust me, it will be worth it!) Remove from heat and beat until partially cooled. Beat in the vanilla. Stir in the flaked coconut and the chopped pecans. (I then chilled the frosting in the refrigerator because it is still not thick enough to ice at this point.) Use to fill and frost cake.


Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At March 23, 2011 at 11:43 AM , Blogger Hannah R. said...

It's beautiful!! :o)And looks delicious :o)

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

<< Home