This Page

has been moved to new address

Outdoor Decorating: A Present For Your Neighbors

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
for His pleasure: Outdoor Decorating: A Present For Your Neighbors

This Page

has been moved to new address

Outdoor Decorating: A Present For Your Neighbors

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
for His pleasure: Outdoor Decorating: A Present For Your Neighbors

Monday, November 14, 2011

Outdoor Decorating: A Present For Your Neighbors




A friend of mine {Hey Lori!} emailed me and asked me to share some outdoor decorating ideas on "the blog".  At the time, my outdoor decorating looked worse for the wear.  I had started on our front door and then got burnt out on trying to get something together on a strict budget. 

Because the truth is, I have expensive taste people.  As in, I am seriously thinking of starting my own children's line of clothing because I want EVERYTHING in babyGap, but can NOT afford any of it. Also as in, I wish to dress myself and the hubs in strictly all J.Crew, but alas we have no outlet here, which means practically no J.Crew people.  And, as in, I could deck my house in all Restoration Hardware and Pottery Barn and die happy. 

But truly.  Do I want to be on my death bed and realize I spent all that money on clothes and house stuff?  

Nada.

So I make stuff myself.

And truly, I think I'll die just as happy, if not happier.
  
Thanks, Lori, for that email!  It was just the motivation I needed to get my butt outside with the kids and make the outside happen.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a favorite book around here by Martha Stewart and she says that indoor decorating is all a gift for family and friends to enjoy.  "But outdoor displays - lights, porch swags, tassels, garlands, wreaths - are presents to your neighbors."

Present to your neighbors.  
I like that.

{And outside pictures of the house are way cuter with babies in them.} 

"Before you begin work, assess your home's strongest features.  
Then design trimmings to accent them."


The garland.  
I'm a total sucker for it.
 I've been gradually buying a new piece of that garland over the last few years.  They carry it at Hobby Lobby and it's $15 per strand.  I have 4 strands now and it was just enough to drape on the front porch of our house.  I pulled it right down from the cabinets in our kitchen, and told it, "You're moving for the holidays baby!"  I have an ugly bright orange extension cord keeping those lights powered.  But who gives???  Besides, Keller loves chewing on it.  


If you need any guardian angels at your house, you might be able to borrow one of ours...I feel certain we have a slew hovering over our house.  
I am NOT kidding.


Window wreath tutorial found HERE.

I had been hitting up the yard sales for outdoor furniture, but always got at the house too late.  SOLD has been my new, most-hated word these days.  I wanted seating on our front porch.  I'm an old person at heart and had visions of sitting together with my hubs out there drinking coffee in the early mornings.


 That hay bale is filling in instead.  It's way cuter anyway.
And sad to say, the hubs and I don't smooch on that haybale and drink our coffee together in flannel PJ's in the wee morning hours.  Maybe he'll read this blog post?  
Course, you have to get up at 4am around here to beat the kids.  So, never mind.  Sleep in honey!


The "give thanks" wood sign is a fave of mine.  Made by yours truly. :-)


Made a swag using that old bush out front, some pine cones, wire, and twine.  
All stuff I had on hand already.  Saving money here people!  And lovin' it.



I like how it ties in the wreath on the front door.


These wire cone forms were half yard saled and half Hobby Lobbied.  Meaning: one came from a yard sale for $3 and I found the exact same one at Hobby Lobby for around $7 {using a %40 off coupon}.


I cannot WAIT to decorate them for Christmas with evergreen.  Hold your horses, Mary Beth!


Breakdown of costs:

Hay bale: $8
Wire Forms by the door: $10
Magnetic Wreath Hangar for Door: $6.99
Mums: $14

Total: $38.99!


Labels:

4 Comments:

At November 14, 2011 at 8:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks beautiful friend!! Very creative:) --Jenny H

 
At November 14, 2011 at 9:21 AM , Blogger Tamara said...

love driving by and seeing the twinkle lights at night. :O)

 
At November 14, 2011 at 8:06 PM , Blogger C3 said...

Looks great! We put up our Christmas lights this weekend! Never too early for the holidays!!!

 
At November 16, 2011 at 3:17 PM , Blogger Lori said...

So pretty! I love the garland and lights! Thanks for all the great ideas!

 

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!

<< Home